Elena Betros López, ArtCinema OFFoff and feeelings are very pleased to invite you to it is a strange realism, but it is a strange reality*, an afternoon program of screenings and talkings with Elena Betros López, Les Insoumuses, Emilie Notéris, Clara Pacotte and Kalinda Vary.
Before all else there are the facts. When they enter public discourse, they indicate how the other is perceived. Threats are dressed up as jokes, barely able to hide their hatred of women and others. Women gaining power only to use it against their class. Politicians and the media addressing urgent human matters through reductive yet deadly cynical catchphrases.
The artists within this program look closely at myths, fictions and re-appropriation of public speech. By re-proposing they offer a reparative agency to those ever-painful, ever-demeaning discourses and normative narratives.
An afternoon of screenings and talkings examining reparative agency or how to cope.
- 2.30 pm: Maso et Miso Vont en Bateau, Les Insoumuses, 55’ – screening
- 3.40 pm: this is how the sag and folded, Elena Betros López, 30’ – screening
- 4.10 pm: Victory Speech 2013, Kalinda Vary 4’ -screening
- 4.15 pm: Break 30’
- 4.45 pm: Cuirasse Bientôt Cloutée d’or, Clara Pacotte, 46’ – screening
- 5.30 pm: La Fiction Réparatrice, Emilie Noteris, 60’ – talk
- 6.30 pm: Discussion and Q&A with Elena Betros López, Emilie Noteris and Clara Pacott
- 7.00 pm: Food and Drinks
*The title of the event comes from the Ursula K. Le Guin text The Carrier Bag Theory of Fiction (1986)
Graphic design: Chloe Chignell